Saturday, May 26, 2012

To Get Moving, Do Something You Love

Does the thought of working out bore you?  Are you having difficulty motivating yourself to get moving?  If so, do an activity that you love to do that requires movement.  Not all of us enjoy running/walking on a treadmill, using cardio machines, lifting weights, or working out at a gym.  But you may have something you'd enjoy that gets your heart pumping and muscles moving just the same.  To get you started, think about when you were a child.  What did you do for fun?  Ride your bike?  Play on the jungle gym at the playground (the monkey bars were my favorite)?  Roller skate?  Jump rope?  You get the idea.  Now pick one and do it for a week.  Does it give you the same thrill or enjoyment you had as a child?  Most of us become detached to the feeling that we had playing as we become older.  Perhaps you need to re-kindle those feelings of fun that you had as a child.  If the activity doesn't give you the same feeling of fun and enjoyment, pick another activity or do something you always wanted to try.  Now, if you are one who was never physical as a child, perhaps you can try out some of these activities.

As for me, I always enjoyed dancing.  In high school, I took aerobic dancing classes (yes, think Jane Fonda and leg warmers) and got "hooked" on it.  While I will do a "traditional" workout with cardio and weights, I find that doing Turbo Jam and Zumba to be more enjoyable (the time also flies by when I'm having fun).  You'll also find me doing the Wii Just Dance series with my kids.  Trust me, it's a great workout (I'm dripping with sweat at the end) and it gives me quality time with my kids (we have dance competitions and I'm known as the "Dancing Queen" in my household) to boot!

Now go out and get moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment